In this episode Sophia Bera shares the fascinating differences in the financial planning needs of millennials, her top money lessons for millennial women and what it means to have your spending match your values.
Sophia is the founder of the atypical financial firm Gen Y Planning She has been featured in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, CNN Money and CNBC and was voted “Top 40 Under 40” by Investment News, “10 Young Advisors to Watch” by Financial Advisor Magazine and “10 of the Best Personal Financial Experts” on Twitter.
• 1:53 – How buying a house at age 21 triggered a career pivot from actress to financial planner
• 2:45 – The story of how Sophia discovered her niche after realizing that helping “rich old white dudes” get richer didn’t light her up
• 3:05 – Why you shouldn’t wait until you have money to make a financial plan
• 3:10 – The fascinating differences in the financial planning needs of millennials
• 4:15 – What it means to have your spending match your values, and why values based financial planning matters
• 12:00 – Sophia’s top money lessons for millennial women (hint: you’ve been trained not to trust yourself financially)
• 15:45 – The steps Sophia took to ensure her business stayed strong during her divorce
• 18:27 – How Sophia’s theater training helped her as an entrepreneur by making her immune to rejection
• Related: Get my free 22-page e-book: Natural Attraction: 9 Rules to Attract the Right Man by Being Yourself with No Games or Gimmicks
1. Favorite book for women?
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
2. Favorite self-care hack?
- Getting 8 hours of sleep each night
3. Best piece of advice and who gave it to you?
- Her mentor explaining that the worst thing that could come of starting her own business would be going back to a job
4. Female CEO or thought leader you’re into right now?
- Ash Ambirge of The Middle Finger Project
5. One piece of advice you’d give your 5 years younger self?
- Your perceived weakness (around being an actress) is actually your super power
Resources and People Mentioned
• Sophia’s website, Twitter, and Email
• Her new course: Smart and Easy Retirement Planning for Millennials.
Join 375+ high-powered women and get practical wisdom on love and leadership delivered weekly
Last Time on The NextFem Podcast
A Special Thanks To…GotMyHeadRight
GotMyHeadRight says “Tara knows her stuff, and does an awesome job at highlighting the key takeaways/lessons from her guests. This show has been a steady source of helpful insights and perspective during my journey to launch my first company, HeadRight. Thank you Tara and Keep em’ coming!”
Thanks *so much* to everyone who took the time to write a review on iTunes, especially! If you write a review this week, send a screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll give you a shout-out too!